I love this green chili sour cream chicken enchilada recipe, it’s my absolute favorite! The enchiladas are so quick and easy to put together that you won’t believe it. No, seriously! Dinner at our house has been saved many times when I needed a quick dinner thanks to this chicken enchilada recipe. Probably the biggest time saver of these enchiladas is the use of home canned chicken. If you don’t have home canned chicken, don’t worry, you can purchase canned chicken breast at pretty much any grocery store. I love that I can store most of the ingredients on my shelf so I’m always ready to make yummy chicken enchiladas in a snap. I frequently make a double batch and freeze one… they freeze wonderfully.
- 1 pint canned chicken breast (or 2 12.5 oz cans of chicken breast), Drained
- 1 14-19 oz. can Green Chili Enchilada Sauce (My favorite sauce is Las Palmas medium)
- 1 10.5 oz. can cream of chicken soup
- 2/3 c. sour cream
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. onion salt or minced onion
- 1 lb. Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 package 10 inch or medium flour tortillas, room temperature
- To make the Sour cream enchilada sauce, combine green chili enchilada sauce, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, cumin and garlic and onion salts in a large bowl . Mix together.
- On one tortilla layer a small amount of chicken, up to 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
- Roll tortilla and filling tightly, leaving ends open.
- Place seam side down in a greased 9x13" pan.
- Continue filling and rolling each tortilla until you are out of chicken.
- Once each enchilada is rolled and placed in the pan pour the remaining enchilada sauce mixture over the top and sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
First you will need to make your sauce. Mix green chili enchilada sauce, sour cream, cumin, garlic salt, onion salt together in a mixing bowl. I use a mixing bowl with a lip so I can easily pour the sauce on the enchiladas. (Less mess, less stress!) Tortillas should be room temperature or warmer in order to help them roll without cracking. Lay a tortilla on the counter and spread some chicken on top of it. Pour up to 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce over the chicken.
Sprinkle cheese on the chicken and sauce. Now you’re ready to roll. Firmly roll the tortilla around your filling. As you finish rolling each enchilada, place it in a greased 9×13″ pan. Place the seam side down in the pan.
Pour the remainder of the green chili and sour cream sauce over the enchiladas. Spread the sauce evenly over the pan. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
You may also be interested in: